Monday, May 10, 2010

My Mother's Day


I had a great Mother's Day. Usually I am cranky and mean on Mother's Day because I feel like I am an inadequate mother. I still felt that way but I did try to stay positive. My ward had great speakers and then I went to listen to my dad speak in church and he was awesome so it was good. Ryan and the kids tried really hard to make the day good and I greatly appreciated it.
Here are a few things that my kids have taught me.
Jack: One can say that Jack is a bit of a lollygagger. He takes his time doing things. Usually this drives me bonkers but I am trying to stay positive and think he is actually teaching me to slow down. I often wonder if I walk at his pace will I see the world differently, will I notice things that I am too busy to notice. If I stop always go, go, going and take my time a little more will I be happier. I will try to lollygag a bit more and appreciate Jack for teaching me this.
Jay: He likes to say no and not just to the things I ask him to do but also for fun stuff. I asked him if he wanted to learn to ride a bike and he said no, never. I appreciate this because I often find myself saying yes to things that I really don't want to do. Jay is teaching me to say no and be OK with it. If I don't really want to do it and I know I will be unhappy doing it I am going to follow Jay's example and just say no.
Kate: She likes to sleep in my bed. Most nights she falls asleep in my bed and then Ryan takes her to her crib only to be awaken later in the night to carry her back into bed with me. I am trying to remember that there will come a day when Kate will want nothing to do with me and will not want me to hug and kiss her so I need to take advantage of this time now. I need to appreciate that she actually wants to be with me and her dad. She is sweet and loving and I am going to take it all in now because some day too soon she will be a teenager.
I love my children and I am grateful for their strengths and the lessons they are teaching me.

3 comments:

  1. Good post, Dyan. Way to take the "half full" approach to the things that make you nuts. It was great seeing you yesterday at church. You look gorgeous as ever!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dy, that was beautiful. I love the mother's day perspective. You have great kids and of course they get it all from their great mama. ILY

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy late Mother's Day. I need to do the same thing and learn from my kids too. I especially can relate to what you are learning from Kate.

    ReplyDelete