Friday, February 26, 2010

Getting Old

I substitute junior high kids a few times a month and a conversation I overheard went something like this.
Student #1: "I need to start using face cream so I don't look like an old 35 year old."
Student #2: I don't know what she said because I was too busy thinking that 35 is not old since that is how old I will be on my next birthday.
I then thought of a teacher that I had in 9th grade who is now a counselor at Stapley, where I sub. I swear she was old when I had her. But now I look at her and realize she was maybe the age I am now, 35 or so. I am sorry to say but when I was a ninth grader I thought she was old. Now that I am almost 35 year old, she is not old and neither am I.
This is evident in my teasing poor Kate. Kate says Jay's name like this, "Yay." So of course I have to ask her "is it Jay or Yay." She will reply "Yay Then I say "Yay" and she gets mad and says "no, Yay." I think I do this to her about 10 times a day. It never gets old and I laugh every time. I also remember doing this to my nephew when he would say "goking" instead of "joking," and I swear that wasn't very long ago but it has to be because he is 19.
I can't be getting old because I am still a kid at heart.

3 comments:

  1. that is just mean... you oldie. Yeah, i remember when i would hear someone graduated in say '87, and i would be thinking, or sometimes saying, "yikes". Now i got to school and church with people that graduated in 2009 (church friends) or 2004, school friends, i am a class of 96'er and i am thinking, "i know they think i am sooooo old". And yeah, my students would always tell me how I was a "young 30" or something...i loved those kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you will always be young to me Dyan...young and cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dy you're just a spring chicken. You don't look a day over 33:) Besides, if you're old, then I'm not far behind, but I'll always be younger. ILY

    ReplyDelete