Sunday, August 14, 2011

Summer lessons learned

My summer was eventful and as I was thinking back on it I learned a lot of lessons so I thought I would blog about them so I will remember them when I am old, or even just next week.
*The summer started with us being called home early from a vacation in Show Low so Ryan could be called as second counselor in the bishopric. At the time I was mad. I didn't want to leave Show Low. It is one of my favorite trips, softball over Memorial Day. But we knew we needed to go so we went. When I think about that decision I am glad we went. Yes, I was angry but in the big picture what is one day of my life. I learned I need to be obedient and have faith. Even when I don't know why I am being asked something or it may be hard. If I can always be obedient when asked to do something in the church I know I will be blessed. I am grateful to a stake president who asked us to come home early from vacation so I could learn this lesson.
*Jay's ruptured appendix happened right after Ryan was called to the bishopric. When I think about his illness I am amazed at how fast it came on. One day we were shoveling dirt in my parents back yard and the next day Jay is sick and sick for three weeks. I learned to speak up for my children. Even when the doctor says nothing is wrong. I didn't feel good about what the doctor said but I also didn't know what else it could be. Now I will speak up and make sure my child is treated properly. I also learned that I can deal with illness. Before this happened the thought of one of my children getting really sick did me in. I am not the mom who is kind and patient with sick kids. Usually I just tell them to suck it up and go lay down. But I was able to take care of Jay and I developed some patience sitting in the hospital day in and day out. I also learned that accepting service is hard but necessary. I could not have had a child in the hospital without all of the people who helped. Jay went into the hospital on a Thursday, on Sunday when my ward heard, I got so many texts asking me what they could do to help. Before my ward helped out my family stepped up. They spent the night at my parents, Karrie's and the Ricedorff's. How grateful I am to the many people who helped me and I hope someday I can repay them.
*Finally after Jay got better we were able to take many vacations, Show Low, Lake Powell, Christopher Creek and California all in July. I love traveling with my family. My kids are so much fun and love to play. I enjoy watching them interact with their cousins and play outside. I am also grateful to Ryan for supporting us. We have been blessed with a good job that allows us to travel. I know we are making memories with my kids. I hope and pray that we can always travel together and enjoy each other's company.
*Rathen left on his mission. The night before he left the Ricedorff's all bore their testimonies. I was so impressed with my in-laws. They each have such sweet and strong testimonies. I know it has been hard on Randy and Rebecca to have Rathen on a mission but they have such strong faith to let him go. They know that the Lord wants Rathen on a mission so they let him go even though it was so hard. I also learned that I need to be a better missionary. I am a ward missionary and I need to not be afraid to speak about the gospel. When I get scared I think of Rathen out in North Carolina all by himself and it gives me strength. I am nowhere where I need to be but I am working on it.
*My Grandpa passed away at 95 years old. He lived such a good life and I learned a lot from his funeral. He was a hard worker and taught my dad how to work. My dad in turn taught me, if I can be half the worker my grandpa was and my dad is I should be good. My grandpa also loved his family. When my dad was talking he told the story about riding to and home from school with his dad and how much he loved that time with his dad. I know I need to spend more time with my kids. My grandpa taught me to spend time with my children. I know my kids are growing fast so I need to teach them now, and the best way to do this is by spending time with them. His passing also reinforced in me the plan of salvation. I know that families can be together forever. I know if I live my life right I will see my grandpa again and will be with Ryan and my kids after we have died. I am so happy I have this knowledge. It made my grandpa's death so much easier.
*The summer ended with Karrie moving away. It has not been easy but it has forced me to step outside my comfort zone and make new friends and ask others for help. When Karrie lived close it was easy to use her, she is my sister and I know I took advantage of her, and didn't appreciate all she did. It has taught me to appreciate what I have now. I know I have a great life and many blessings. I only hope I can continue to appreciate all that I have.
I know I learned more lessons from the summer but these are the big ones.
-be obedient, have faith, more patience, let others serve me, family is important, be a better missionary, work hard, spend time and teach my children, families are forever, move out of my comfort zone, and be more grateful



3 comments:

  1. Funny thing is that I think you have always been such a good example of all those things even before this summer. I could cite many examples here, but I have to get my kids off to school and wouldn't have the time. Great post. ILY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is that all you learned - jk - awesome I learned that I hate teaching summer school. Luv ya:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good post, D. You are a good woman!

    ReplyDelete