Sunday, March 4, 2012

My weekend

I had a great weekend. I have no pictures to show for it but it was wonderful.
Friday was great. I went on a date with Ryan to see "Wicked." I bought the ticket about a year ago and had been looking forward to March 2, 2012 for a long time. Before "Wicked" Ryan and I went to dinner and enjoyed some nice adult conversaion. I love going to dinner with Ryan. But back to "Wicked" it is my most favorite play out there. I could go and see it tomorrow if I had tickets and money to buy unlimited tickets. Ryan even said he liked it and would go every other year. Which says a lot about the play.
Saturday started nice and early at 4:30, Ryan had signed us up for a half marathon. Ryan was not able to run it because he hurt his calf and needs to have it heal. But I ran it. I kept thinking I don't want to run it and I knew Saturday was coming but I chose to ignore it. Well it came and before I left for the race I said a prayer for help. My Great Aunt Sybil had passed away and my mom was speaking at the funeral. The funeral started at 10am and the race started at 7am. So I prayed saying I know I am being selfish but I want to run and go to the funeral, please give me strength to run and finish the half marathon in time to get to the funeral. So I went and ran not really excited about it and I finished with a PR, 2:14:22, my previous PR was 2:14:44. I know my prayer was answered because I finished the race gave Ryan, who was volunteering and gave me my medal, a huge hug, grabbed some water, an apple, a jamba juice, changed my clothes, washed my face and made it to the funeral with about five minutes to spare.
The funeral was good. Again prayers were answered because my mom, who doesn't like to speak in public since her stroke almost three years ago, did an amazing job. I learned a lot about my great Aunt Sybil who was the youngest of 12 children and was the last to die. I learned that the piano I learned to play on and now my Jack is learning on came from her. My mom bought it from her for $125.00 and now I have it. I learned that when my dad finished officer's training for the Marine Corps my Aunt Sybil pinned his bars on him since my mom could not be there. When my mom was able to join my dad in Virginia my Aunt Sybil showed her around and helped my mom out. Aunt Sybil was a school teacher and supported her husband through school and was able to have only one child and then adopted two more. She served many missions with her husband and was so faithful.  She lived a life of love, service, charity and kindness. I know she has been welcomed into heaven.
After the funeral, still no shower, we had the last of Jack and Jay's basketball games. I went to Jay's two and then met Ryan for Jack's last of three games. Jay's team was "undefeatable" as Jay says and really did win all of their games.He had a fun team to watch and Jay improved. Jack's teams did pretty good. Ryan had so many people request him as a coach that he had two teams to coach. Ryan was great and Jack really improved.
The weekend ended on Sunday with a quick trip up to Prescott Valley to meet my new niece Claire, to see Karrie, and the rest of the Platts. I instantly fell in love with little Claire and my kids had so much fun playing with their Platt cousins. In fact Karrie made Jay cry when she jokingly said her kids went to St. Johns with her in-laws and not to church like they thought. Thankfully Jay realized she was kidding once all the kids showed up and then I didn't see my kids until lunch was served and then when my dad said it was time to go.
It was a great weekend and I need to do better at taking pictures not just writing the words. I know I am truly blessed and I am grateful for all I have.

4 comments:

  1. What a great weekend for sure, except I would really appreciate it if just once you'd say Wicked wasn't all it's cracked up to be, that it was actually kinda sucky:) - next year... And could you have ended it any better than coming up to see us? :) I love that you were able to run and make it to the funeral in time. And I love your report on the funeral. That makes me feel not quite so bad that I couldn't make it. Thanks again for coming up today. It made my kids' day to play with the Ricedorff's and my day to have my favorite adults to talk to. Great weekend, great post. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy you were busy it was good sitting by you, laughing and crying with you at the funeral. And karrie if you read the comments - jerk - I thought for sure I was your favorite adult to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julie you are so predictable. I knew you'd say something like that. I should have rephrased and said "some of my fav adults to talk to" You, of course, are always a treat to visit with. Love you both

    ReplyDelete
  4. DYAN, YOU ARE ONE BUSY WOMAN...CONGRATULATIONS ON THE PR RUN...CAN'T BELIEVE YOU G0T EVERYTHING IN......OH TO BE YOUNG AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete