Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Gila Valley

Oh, what a weekend. I love when you can say "I told you so." Even though I never did I really wanted to. We (the Ricedorffs) and the Platts all went down to the Gila Valley Temple Open House. Afterward the Platts wanted to go camping but I wanted to get a hotel. I was talked into going camping and was really on board once the decision was made. But alas no camping was done since when we got to the campsite there was snow on the ground. Now I enjoy camping with the best of them but when it comes to cold I am a wimp. So we drove down the mountain a little ways and found a nice spot to start a fire, roast some hot dogs, make smores, get smokey and then it was on to a hotel, where the kids and the adults had so much fun. It was a great weekend and I am glad it turned out how it did. Sometimes the best plans can go awry but it is what you do when this happens that counts. I think we did pretty good and I hope my kids all appreciate that you can go with the flow (this coming from the biggest planner ever, I guess Ryan has rubbed off on me more than I know.)

Highlights

Walking through the temple. I hope my children learned something and maybe I actually taught them a lesson or two. The temple is beautiful (of course) and I can't wait for the Gilbert and Phoenix temples to be built.

Telling the kids they WILL come what may and love it even if it kills them. (Dang it)
Inappropriate comments while roasting hot dogs around the camp fire. Karrie said we could not blog about them.

Ryan saying that the scout law says that when the sun goes down the temperature drops 20 degrees. It was already 45 degrees so I was not looking forward to waking up in 25 degree weather.

Party in the hotel room, with all of the junk food from the camp out. Watching the kids jump from bed to bed and then crashing all at the same time. When you are tired you are tired.

Jack's favorite was fake calling his girlfriend.

Swimming in the indoor pool, jumping on the rafts, and sitting in the hot tub.

Getting exercise by going down the elevator then running up the stairs.

Jay's favorite, how he liked seeing forever and ever in the temple. I showed him the mirrors in the sealing room.

Ryan telling us he makes the best smores as he was burning the marsh mellows and the melting the chocolate too much.

"Oh my gosh carrots" from the tin foil dinner Karrie made.

Ryan's favorite, wrestling with the kids.

Going to the Red Knolls and seeing where Jeremy blew up a hole. It was not as much fun as I would have liked because I was petrified that the kids would fall in a hole or off a cliff. Jay felt this same way because he never let go of my hand and when he did he held tight to Jeremy's hand (look at the picture of Jeremy and the kids.)

Kate's stash of food in the AC control in the hotel. I guess when you are the third child you think someone will steal your food so you need to hide it.

Jack calling 911 (actually a low light). He dialed the number and thought it wouldn't work since the phone was not plugged in, it works

Dyan's favorite, being with my family and laughing and realizing that you can have fun even when things don't go as planned.

















3 comments:

  1. It looked like a lot of fun!! I love going to temple open houses. Hey I love your photo collages, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. I'm glad we could laugh together and have fun. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVED THIS POST!! thanks for the idea! I used your family picture...my blog isn't private but I don't get much traffic, just my sisters and a few friends so I'm sure it is safe but if you'd rather I didn't---> let me know.

    ReplyDelete