Monday, May 30, 2011

Memorial Weekend

We had an eventful Memorial Day Weekend. Of course our plan was to spend the entire weekend up in Show Low, Ryan plays softball and the kids all hang out and play outside. But the Lord had a different plan for us and we were asked by the Stake President to cut our vacation short so that Ryan could meet with him on Sunday morning. It took a lot of faith and obedience to decide to do just that.
But before we went home early we watched Rathen graduate from Show Low High School, rode horses, and hung out at the ball park.
Rathen's graduation was great. Especially since we only heard the names from Q on down. We timed it perfectly getting there just in time to hear Rathen's name called and then watching the kids throw their hats. My kind of graduation, short. We are so excited for Rathen to have graduated then on to the next big step his mission to North Carolina.
The next day, Friday, we went out to Ross' family's farm and watched them brand and castrate cattle. Very interesting to watch. We also got to ride the horses. My kids loved being outside and I think they could be ranchers, even when Kate was saying "Oooh poop , gross." After that we got family pictures taken, to be posted later. Then we headed to Mark's house. Mark, Laura, John, and Matt were all there so it was great for the kids and adults to hang out. We watched ASU win their softball game and just enjoyed each other's company.
Saturday started out with a ball game. The team lost, but expected that. They wanted to play D's. Later that day the phone call came to meet with the stake president. I was not happy about that.
We went home on Saturday night and met with the stake president on Sunday and Ryan was called as the second counselor in the bishopric. I was totally surprised although I kind of suspected a calling like that since we were asked to cut our vacation short. The funny thing is the former bishop was on vacation and the new first counselor was on vacation. So here I was feeling sorry for myself that my vacation was cut short when I was not the only one. Again a lot of faith and obedience was exercised and will continued to be exercised. But Ryan will do good and I only hope I can support him and not get too cranky about the calling.
Below are pictures from the ranch. The kids all had so much fun, including me.




Since we were home on Monday and the temperature only got up to 89 we went and hiked "A" mountain then played at the Tempe Splash Park. It was fun being home on Memorial Day. I don't remember the last time I was home but I enjoyed it. It was a great weekend full of surprises but one that will be remembered.



Below are pictures of "A" mountain and the splash park.


2 comments:

  1. You hiked A mountain? Which mountain? you just said it was a mountain. hahaha. I had fun yesterday, thanks. Ryan will do great and you will be wonderful too. Behind every good husband is a better wife, just look at Jeremy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. should I say congrats to Ryan or condolences? jk - the hike looks fun - we will need to get together next week only 2 more days for me

    ReplyDelete